Journey Time Through Roadworks
Jenoptik offers ANPR journey time cameras, which can be installed alongside SPECS enforcement cameras, as part of an integrated roadworks package.
These cameras can provide accurate, local journey reliability information to road users and regional control centres.
Journey time information is available across most of the strategic road network, using a combination of permanent ANPR cameras and in-road loops. Unfortunately, during major roadworks projects, these devices are often removed, resulting in a data gap at exactly the time it is most needed. Road users like to know if their journey is going to be delayed, so that they can either chose an alternative route or understand the impact on their journey time. Jenoptik provides additional journey time cameras that can measure the journey time leading up to and through a roadworks scheme. This journey data can be displayed on roadside Variable Message Signs and also be transmitted to regional and national traffic control centres.
Jenoptik supply the SPECS cameras that are used in most major roadworks schemes, so our engineers and equipment is already on site and closely managed. This makes it simpler and more cost effective for similar cameras to be installed and operated – often mounting cameras on the same street furniture. The journey time cameras can be visually identical to the enforcement cameras but they are completely separate, sending journey data back wirelessly to a remote journey time server.
- True journey time data can be displayed at the roadside
- Delay advice can be displayed on roadside VMS signs, prior to the works area, informing drivers of potential delays ahead
- Driver behaviour is modified through the speed control zone, resulting in reduced congestion and more reliable journeys
- Journey time data can be sent to the Regional Control Centre, allowing congestion / flow conditions to be actively monitored
- Rapid feedback of flow conditions allows traffic management to be altered as and when volumes are low, rather than waiting for a particular time
- Traffic flows improve where SPECS is used, offering more reliable journeys